Phamaly Theatre Company is a premiere disability-affirmative theatre organization. Since 1989, Phamaly has been a home for theatre artists with disabilities and leads the field nationally in accessible theatre practices. Phamaly works from the core values of adaptation and professionalism, with an emphasis on authenticity, innovation, and humor. Phamaly strives to model a theatre process for future generations where inclusivity, equity, accessibility, and creativity are prioritized in artistic process.
The Artistic Director oversees all programming activities to ensure the organization’s productions, professional development/education, and outreach opportunities are aligned for success and growth in engaging disabled artists. The Artistic Director, together with the Managing Director, presents the public face of Phamaly. The Artistic Director works closely with the Managing Director and staff to ensure compatibility between artistic programming and operational/development goals, as well as to uphold overall organizational integrity, sustainability, and excellence.
Reports to: Phamaly Board of Directors
Supervises: Technical Production Manager, Company Production Manager
Areas of Responsibility:
- Set the artistic tone for Phamaly: Conceive, develop, and implement short- and long-term artistic vision and goals.
- Serve as a professional mentor and leader among the Phamaly, disability, and arts communities on a local, national, and international level, presenting on behalf of Phamaly, as needed.
- Ensure that all programming – including stage productions, outreach, workshops, education, and artist development – is realized in accordance with Phamaly's mission, vision, and values.
- Select all guest directors and other primary production staff (musical directors, choreographers, special out-of-town artists).
- Direct or perform in at least one production per year (optional), to be negotiated and paid separately from the Artistic Director salary.
- Participate in auditions and casting for productions; attend rehearsals and meetings, as necessary.
- Assist the Technical Production Manager in the hiring, management, and evaluation of all artisticcontractors, interns, and volunteers.
- Work with the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager to coordinate Actors Equity contracts as well as other union contracts for production staff.
- Support guest directors throughout the production process, with show themes, cast concerns, accommodations, and the implementation of Phamaly’s mission.
- Work with the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager to implement organizational protocols for productions, as outlined in Phamaly’s Production Handbook.
- Determine the appropriateness of community partnerships on individual productions. Work with the Managing Director to foster and implement partnerships.
- Assist the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager in cast and crew evaluation and feedback processes following productions.
- Work with staff to create and execute playbill/program content, as needed.
- Select all show titles according to organizational goals and timelines.
- Determine venues for all productions and coordinate necessary community partnerships.
- Work with staff to develop each season's production calendar in alignment with development and administrative goals.
Education and Artist Development
- Work in partnership with Phamaly’s partners (i.e. DCPA Education and Queens Theatre) to determine yearlong theatre classes and workshops.
- Mentor individual company members, as needed, to develop and implement personal artistic goals.
- Lead the development and design of Phamaly outreach and workshops.
- Work with Managing Director to determine outreach menu, structure, audiences, and pricing.
- Design and lead trainings for company members who are facilitating outreach and workshops.
- Ensure that all programming is designed and implemented in accordance with Phamaly's accessibility values.
- Work with the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager to research and identify new technologies and strategies for accessibility, based on industry innovation.
Fundraising and Development
- Serve as Phamaly's primary artistic representative in development activities, events, and relationship-building.
- Assist the Managing Director, as needed, in strategizing around grant and funding opportunities.
- Provide artistic narratives for grant applications.
- Join the Managing Director, as needed, in meetings with funders and donors.
- Assist the Managing Director in conceptualizing events as they relate to programming (i.e. donor cultivation events, donor-attended rehearsals, annual fundraiser(s), etc.).
- Work with Managing Director and staff to develop an annual operating budget for Board approval.
- Work with the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager to create budgets for all productions, workshops, education, and outreach programming.
- Work with the Company Production Manager and the Technical Production Manager to set compensation levels for production staff and performers.
Marketing and Communications
- Serve as the primary artistic spokesperson for Phamaly.
- Work with marketing partners to lead the conceptualization of marketing/branding for productions and artistic programming.
- Work with Managing Director on institutional branding, marketing, and communications to ensure alignment with artistic vision and organizational mission.
Board and Strategic Planning
- Serve as the artistic authority in working with the Managing Director and Board to create long-range comprehensive strategic plans, set goals to fulfill Phamaly’s mission and vision, and establish overall organizational strategy to accomplish those goals.
- Attend Phamaly Board meetings and provide a written and/or verbal Artistic Director report.
- Participate in strategic planning retreats with the staff and Board.
- Work with Managing Director to measure and evaluate implementation of strategic plan in Phamaly’s programming.
- 5+ years of experience as a professional theatre artist.
- Bachelor’s Degree in theatre, drama, arts administration, or a related field of study; advanced or terminal degree in a theatre-related field preferred.
- Management experience with small teams and support personnel.
- Robust experience within/knowledge of the disability community.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, leadership skills, collaborative prowess, and the ability to cultivate ideas and relationships.
- Community contacts and relationships, and the ability to create strategic partnerships.
- Robust passion for artistic innovation, advocacy, and out-of-the-box thinking.
It is desired this position be full-time; however, part-time status can be negotiated. As a full-time position, the salary range is $60,000 - $65,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
As a full-time position, Phamaly Theatre Company offers the following benefits:
- Health and dental insurance.
- 13 paid holidays.
- Vacation and sick time.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume with "Artistic Director Position" in the subject line no later than February 24, 2021 to Sasha Hutchings at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis.
**As a disability-affirmative theatre company, Phamaly encourages individuals with disabilities to apply. Phamaly prioritizes adaptability and a human-centric work environment. We are happy to consider adjustments to the job responsibilities to ensure the right candidate will be successful.
Click here for a downloadable Word version of the Artistic Director Job Description.
Phamaly will take on interns on a case-by-case basis. If you are interested in an internship with Phamaly please email email@example.com with subject line Internship and include a resume and cover letter which explains what sort of opportunity you are looking for. Please be aware at this time Phamaly is not seeking paid internships and cannot provide housing.