Saturday Night Live meets disability in a series of laugh-out-loud sketches.
Funny As A Crutch
by Rich Orloff
The People’s Building
9995 E Colfax Ave, Aurora, CO 80010
October 7th – 20th, 2024
More information to come.
Start with a rich base of traditional sketch comedy. Add in a dash of disability justice and sprinkle in a good amount of inclusion. Bake it at 350 degrees with a bunch of sardonic wit and voila: you have Funny as a Crutch. Ten vibrant short plays tell stories such as the first two disabled folks landing on Plymouth Rock, a disabled woman being picked up for her first one night stand, a young man who can’t understand why his prosthetic leg isn’t allowed in the army, to a modern take on a classic fairy tale – Cripperella. This laugh-out-loud comedy skewers stereotypes, picks apart prejudices, and attacks assumptions about disability – from both outside and inside the community.
Phamaly is a disability-affirmative company and we highly encourage audiences to wear face masks at all performances to help protect our artists. Phamaly Theatre Company values the safety of our community and reserves the right to add or remove COVID safety protocols at any time. By purchasing a ticket you agree to follow all COVID-19 safety policies and directives. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Cast (Listed Alphabetically)
- Captions available at all performances
- Audio Description available by request for any performance with 2 weeks advance notice by emailing email@example.com
- American Sign Language Interpretation is available by request for any performance with 2 weeks advance notice, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assisted listening devices (limited supply first come first serve)
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Low sensory quiet spaces: Available at all performances
- Accessibility Materials: Braille programs, Sensory Guide, Accessibility Guide, Fidgets, etc.